Sunday, December 25, 2011

The Longest Nights


Winter Solstice at my grandmother's house in Houston.

My cousin Mira -- belly dancer, painter, costume designer and body painter. She has a new project called Sirens where she transforms women with fabric, feathers and paint into their particular type of goddess. I drove to visit her on Friday southwest of Austin in a small town called Driftwood. I passed Enchanting Oaks Drive and Crystal Hills Drive. After a wooden sign proclaiming "Wizard Academy," I took a right turn onto her dirt driveway. Her studio sprawled across the ranch-style house with headdresses and Indian garb adorning every surface. A cushioned construction in the living room was shaping up into a hookah lounge. Three feline sentinels took turns keeping watch and bossing around her large dog.

1 comment:

  1. Spectacular picture of the haunting and very much "alive" view out Polly's window - I want to schedule a ritual and ceremony right there as soon as possible! And what an amazing project of Mira's, to garb women as their own goddess. Does she have pictures, a website, a blog? Thanks so much for sharing your adventures and visions.

    ReplyDelete